Ravbar tower is located on the southern edge of Planina Field, in the immediate vicinity of Planina Cave. It was first mentioned in 1444. The tower, built in the late Gothic style, is a remnant of the medieval castle Mali grad.
The tower was named after Nikolaj Ravbar, the head of Trieste and uncle of Gašper Ravbar, who killed the knight Erazem Predjamski in 1484 in the Predjama Castle.
In the past, the role of the castle was to protect the important transport connection between the Ljubljana basin and the Slovenian Littoral Region. Ravbar tower stands on a rock pier above the entrance to the steep valley of the Unica River, which flows from Planina Cave. From the rocky peninsula, its owners have always looked out over Planina Field and protected and defended their property.
The mighty round tower has a preserved Gothic chapel on the upper floor. In the interior of the tower, you will soon be able to see the beautiful star ribbed ceiling.
The Ravbar tower is currently being renovated, so tours of the interior are not possible.